Call for Artists: 2013 Kern County Nut Festival Art Poster
DEADLINE EXTENSION – NEW DEADLINE IS APRIL 12, 2013
$1,000 Prize – sponsored by Betty & Milt Younger
The Kern County Nut Festival is calling for artists to create artwork for the official 2013 Kern County Nut Festival Art Poster exhibition. All art must be approved by the Visual Arts Committee of the Nut Festival and is expected to be appropriate for a broad public audience. The Committee is looking for works that incorporate an aspect or aspects of the nuts produced in Kern County, which are almonds, pistachios, and walnuts. Please note – almonds and pistachios are the top crops in Kern. Walnuts are a minor crop. These nuts are grown and harvested almost completely without hand labor. Production is almost completely mechanized. The trees, especially in bloom, are quite beautiful and would be a great subject matter. Also – food produced from nuts like cookies, cakes, etc. is also appropriate for artwork. Please keep in mind – this is a festival poster. Think fun, lively, festive! This is the first year of the festival so to be selected as the first artist will be quite an honor and we plan on informing the media about the winning poster/artist.
The Festival thanks Betty & Milt Younger for their generous contribution of $1000 for the prize to the winning artist.
NEW APPLICATION DEADLINE: APRIL 12, 2013
Applications are available on the Kern County Nut Festival Website www.kcnutfest.com. Click on the “contest” button. There is no charge for artists to apply. Applications will not be accepted after the deadline.
Artists must be California residents. Artwork must be photo-reproducible two-dimensional media, such as drawings, paintings, and photographs.
- The art needs to be gallery wrapped 18 x 24 (or 24 x 18) inches with a 1-1/2 inches depth or framed – no glass please.
- Do NOT include any words in your artwork.
- The Kern County Nut Festival logo is not allowed for use in the poster.
The works of the 25 finalists will be displayed in an art exhibition at the Kern County Museum in June of 2013 and also be shown during the Kern County Nut Festival. All artwork must be gallery wrapped and ready to hang. All artworks will be offered for sale and the Kern County Museum will receive a commission of 50%.
- The works will be judged and the winning piece will be photo-reproduced as the official 2013 art poster to be sold as a limited edition print of 500 to benefit the Kern County Museum.
- The winning artist will receive $1000, byline recognition, and 5 posters.
- The finalists’ pieces will be hung in the historic Fellows Hotel at the KC Museum before the festival and during the festival. The festival is expected to draw upwards of 5,000 people and the artworks will be for sale, at a price determined by the artist
PROJECT SCHEDULE (SUBJECT TO CHANGE)
Deadline – April 12, 2013
Visual Arts Committee Meeting #1 (Select Finalists) – end of April 2013
Visual Arts Committee approval of finalists – May 1, 2013
Notifications of Finalists – May 10, 2013
Delivery of original works to the Kern County Museum – week of May 20, 2013 Visual Arts Committee Meeting #2 (Select Winner) – week of March 20, 2013 Exhibition – June 2013
HOW TO APLLY
All application materials must be submitted online. Application materials include:
- Resume, not to exceed three pages, please include name address, email, and phone number.
- Artist statement about your proposed work, not to exceed 100 words
- 1 image (.jpg) of your proposed artwork, not to exceed 800 kb
- In the “subject” line of your email application, please type: “Nut Fest Poster Contest”
- Email applications to: email@example.com – you will receive a confirmation email. If you do not receive a confirmation email, call Beth Pandol at 661-302-8171.
There is no application fee.
For questions please contact:
Beth Pandol: firstname.lastname@example.org
The committee reserves the right to not accept any applications, to not accept any artist and to initiate an alternate selection process.
The owner of the copyright of the winning artwork, whether that is the artist, or other person or entity to whom copyright is conveyed, unconditionally gives the Kern County Nut Festival Committee the right to use a partial or complete facsimile or reproduction of the winning work in perpetuity for the benefit of the Kern County Nut Festival, including, but not limited to its use in posters, postcards, promotional materials, etc.
Kern County Museum Foundation 3801 Chester Avenue Bakersfield, CA 93301 (661) 868-8400 phone www.kcmuseum.org