Call to Fresno County Artists
Tower District Dining Parklet Murals
The Fresno Arts Council (FAC), in partnership with The Tower District Marketing Committee (TDMC), is seeking artists’ proposals for murals to be painted on three (3) 4×8-foot (wood or metal) panels. These panels will be joined together and installed at a temporary Dining Parklet, which will be placed in front of several storefronts along Olive Avenue in Fresno’s historic Tower District. Each completed three-paneled mural for the Dining Parklet(s) may extend to a maximum length of 30 feet when installation is completed.
This project is to support the restaurants in the Tower District that have been severely impacted by the circumstances of COVID-19. The TDMC plans to expand temporary outdoor dining spaces in the area so that local small businesses can continue to operate while in compliance with the state’s guidelines.
Artists will design a unique original mural design to be painted on three (3) 4×8-foot wood or metal panels to be installed at a Tower District Dining Parklet location. There are currently three locations available (see below for details). Artists may submit unique mural design(s) for up to all three Tower District Dining Parklet locations with their application.
Each mural design should include some or all of the following qualities: bright, colorful, bold, low-maintenance, featuring images and/or designs representative of the Tower District. In addition, proposed mural designs should complement the respective business(es) located where they will be installed on Olive Avenue in the Tower District.
The TDMC’s Art Review team will review proposals from the total submissions pool and choose the final artwork(s) to be included in this project. Selected artists will be notified by the TDMC’s Art Review team. Panels will be provided to the artists. Additional project information including site location(s) and space dimensions for mural panels are located below.
Tower District Dining Parklet Murals (Olive Avenue)
The TDMC is installing Dining Parklets Murals to be built off-site in 4×8 foot sections. Each panel with featured artwork will be added to its designated Dining Parklet at the time of installation, and all panels will be assembled on-site in front of up to five restaurants along Olive Avenue.
Each fully-installed Dining Parklet mural will measure a maximum length of 30 feet total.
The following Tower District restaurants are included (as of August 19, 2020):
- Irene’s Cafe (747 E. Olive Avenue): 3 panels, each panel 4×8 feet long; total 30 feet long
- The Revue Coffee Bar (620 E. Olive Avenue): 3 panels, each panel 4×8 feet long; total 30 feet long
- The Lincoln Pub & Grill (609 E. Olive Avenue): 3 panels, each panel 4×8 feet long; total 30 feet long
The artist(s) will be paid $3,000 per completed three-panel mural, i.e. the Dining Parklet Mural. Each Dining Parklet will feature one mural that will be composed of three (3) 4×8-foot-long individual wood or metal panels (provided by the TDMC), which will be built off-site then assembled and installed on-site in the Tower District. It is possible for an applicant to submit a mural design proposal for more than one Dining Parklet location. The total project cost per Dining Parklet mural proposal cannot exceed the allocated amount, i.e. $3,000 per completed three-paneled mural measuring a maximum of 30-feet in length when fully installed.
All estimates should include the total estimated costs of all materials (excluding the cost of the panels), labor, expenses related to installation including weather/graffiti-proof coating, and insurance to cover the transportation of murals to the installation site.
Submissions due by 11:59 PM PDT
Fresno Arts Council
1245 Van Ness Avenue
Fresno, CA 93721
09/14/2020 TDMC Art Review Team selects artist(s) and artwork(s)
09/15/2020 Selected artist(s) will be notified
09/27/2020 Painted panels are completed
9/29-30/2020 Painted panels are installed
- The project is open to experienced artists from Fresno County age 18 or over.
- All artwork design and completed panels will become the property of the TDMC to be used for promotional and fund development purposes.
- The Fresno Arts Council reserves the right to make no selection in this process if the art presented is not appropriate.
- There is no entry fee.
Submit all requested materials, including mural design concepts, on a flash drive and deliver to the Fresno Arts Council either in-person or by mail (use overnight service if necessary) – Please clearly label all materials with name, email, address, and phone number.
- One-page letter of interest.
- One-page budget including all equipment, materials, and insurance.
- Current resume – identify experience with public art or murals.
- Identify website URL, if you have one.
- 5 images of current, relevant work. Images should be JPEG, a minimum of 300 dpi resolution
- Image list, with number, title, media, size material and description -OR-
- Up to 6 digital images of proposed work for each Tower District Dining Parklet mural that includes title, media, size, date, and description. If submitting proposed work for more than one dining parklet mural, please identify your image files by using the name of the desired location.
- 1-2 reference letters with contact information
- Prepaid, self-addressed stamped envelope if you want materials returned